Monday, December 12, 2016

Under the Barrow

I'll work on this later in more detail, adding in Lothar and fixing the color of the numbers.  This in answer to Aleksandra's question:


28 comments:

Aleksandra Ivanovna said...

What can I hear?

Alexis Smolensk said...

Nothing that your character can identify as important [no heightened sense abilities]. Right now the sound of your own heart in your ears is the loudest sound you can hear.

Aleksandra Ivanovna said...

Alright. I toss one of my rocks towards 1008.

Engelhart Askjellson said...

"Stay your onager for the nonce, oh Aleksandra, I've us a plan!"




[note that I'm already presuming that 'Sandra would hold onto the provoking rock until at least most of us have descended and taken some kind of position]

Engelhart Askjellson said...

I motion to the best of my mimickry for an unlit torch and the flint.

Aleksandra Ivanovna said...

Indeed, I was planning to wait until we all had descended.

My torch and flint would probably be topside, having pulled both from my bag when we were discussing how (or if) we should use a torch (and my bag is not down here). Since they'd be up, Alexis might allow you to have brought them down with you (since it's dark down here and you can't see).

What faith do you profess, Engelhart?

Engelhart Askjellson said...

I'd doubtlessly have done so, yes.

I'm a Protestant Christian and the line drawn by my paltry knowledge of protestantism kind of stops me there. I'm not sure if the particular denomination is important to spell effects, Alexis can straighten that out.

Lothar Svensson said...

I move to hex 1110, lean my quarterstaff against the wall and ready my bow.

Engelhart Askjellson said...

I move quickly now, removing my backpack and coat, readying a torch to the point of lighting it, holstering my hammer and grabbing a hold of my crossed holy symbol.

I whisper tersely to my companions amidst all this: "Stand well back and follow the sound of my voice, I'm about to shine the Lord's own Light upon what lies beyond."


Lothar's placement is already pitch-perfect; other than that, my own position on the board will be rather relevant, I'm assuming I'm to be near Aleksandra's present hex.

Gudbrand Andersen said...

I move next to Engelhart so I'll be able to see in the torchlight once it's lit. I get my sling out and take a bullet in the other hand ready to load.

Rowan said...

When I do get down I'll take up position in the rear, spear in hand. I won't advance for now.

Alexis Smolensk said...

AND things get complicated. Lots of confusion. I'll try to clarify, but things are coming from everywhere, and some of it on the wrong post.

Sorry, Engelhart ~ the moment that Aleksandra tossed a rock, it was done; you're not actually in a position to see what Aleksandra is doing or why ~ remember that the hole is only waist-wide and there is three feet of roof, so your angle of awareness would be very minimal.

I don't assume that Aleksandra is holding onto the rock, because Aleksandra said she wasn't. She's thrown the rock ~ all I want to know is what she rolls on a d20 in terms of success; Aleksandra, if you would be so kind as to roll a d20.

Engelhart, I'm confused by your mimickry for an unlit torch and the flint. When you are doing this, you are still outside, standing with Gudbrand and Rowan.

Aleksandra, your statement that you were "planning to wait" is thrown all to hell by your actually throwing the rock. At the same time, you could not reasonably have any idea of Engelhart's wanting a torch and flint.

Deep breath now.

Engelhart, I can't let you retcon anything that has happened. Lothar and Aleksandra are already down the hole, it is TOO LATE to cast bless on them. Moreover, there was plenty of opportunity for you to do so earlier, as getting in the hole took about three days of real time, so you had lots of opportunity to bring that up before anyone took out keystones and entered the barrow.

Moreover, even though you are Protestant (and we'll get to that), NONE of the other members of the party are of any religion, because no one stated as much prior to leaving Stavanger. IF they did want to be your religion, then they should have said so, then gotten baptised, back when they were in town. They didn't, so they aren't of your religion, even if they say so now. There was opportunity to discuss all this before going on this adventure, but no one did, no one brought it up, including you, the cleric. Even when I said to pick a religion, when you were creating your character, you ignored me and it is only now that I am learning what religion you have.

Alexis Smolensk said...

But I have no hard feelings about it, nor am I punishing you. It is simply something that should have been addressed when it could be addressed, not now.

Next point.

In general, it would be more convenient if all the characters stated their actions in reference only to THEMSELVES and not to other characters. For example, I would prefer if Rowan had said, "I am not going down the hole now" or "next", rather than stating that he will be "fifth", which is in reference to the other characters. What if someone else then states, "I will be fifth"? In the same way, Engelhart, you say you're the third going down the hole when "next" would make more sense. Since Gudbrand already stated that he was going down too, FIRST, so technically, Gudbrand is 3rd.

I make the point for the sake of clarity. It is simply easier if your actions are self-referential. I recognize that there is a need to "save time" by attempting to assume that all the characters gather together to be blessed (as they will in the future), but when everyone is doing this at the same time the result is just a cacophony of confusion. Surely, members of the party have already seen this. For example, the long lead up to Aleksandra actually throwing the rock or the incredibly long lead up to removing the keystones, because people were constantly describing what they wanted other characters to do.

This can work at a table, but it doesn't work well in text. We finally made headway when people only stated WHAT THEY THEMSELVES DID, period.

Please try to keep it at that level. It will just be easier for everyone.

Alexis Smolensk said...

It is quite clear that Engelhart did not notice that Gudbrand had beaten him to the punch, that Gudbrand was going down third. Then, once again, TO SAVE TIME, Engelhart tried to assume a) that he had already gone down the hole; and b) that he was there to aid Gudbrand's landing; and then c) that Rowan obviously came next, so that his spear could be returned, so that finally d) he could take up a position next to Aleksandra and Lothar.

Engelhart, sorry, you're not running this adventure.

No one here should be assuming that ANYONE does anything until I say it happens.

Let's say that Engelhart does go down before Gudbrand, as Engelhart presumed. AND THEN, SOMEONE ON THE SURFACE ATTACKS Gudbrand and Rowan! Can Engelhart be sure that won't happen? Absolutely not. So please don't assume that any character's actions automatically produce a predictable result. Just say what you do. Then I will tell you if that "doing" worked or not. Then we can move forward.

Don't. Save. Time.

I know it sounds logical, but in fact it isn't. It just creates communication problems, as everyone tries to save time at the same time, and no one knows what the hell anyone is doing. Speak for YOUR character . . . and ONLY your character, please.

Sorry, Engelhart. You're getting the brunt of this, because you came in late last night with a lot to say and to offer; but you're not the only one who is doing it. Relax. Take your time. There's no hurry. The TPK will come soon enough.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Okay, let's pick up. Gudbrand's statement to go down happened on the other thread at 11:43 PM (my time). Aleksandra threw the rock at 10:30. Therefore, Gudbrand is still on top, as is Engelhart and Rowan. Only Aleksandra and Lothar are actually in the barrow at the time the rock was thrown.

All actions are suspended until I get a d20 roll from Aleksandra.

Could we please discuss any issues having to do with communication and the campaign on the "Appearance" thread, so that we can keep this thread clean for actions/gaming. I am more than willing to answer any questions and assure everyone that there is no real problem ~ just a desire for greater clarity.

Aleksandra Ivanovna said...

I roll a 15 (unmodified).

Alexis Smolensk said...

That's a hit, Aleksandra.

Luckily for you, however, hex 1008 ~ which you threw the rock at ~ is actually only 3 hexes away from you and not glowing. So nothing happens.

I think you may have counted in the opposite direction from your intention . . . but psyche!

Alexis Smolensk said...

So, what happens now?

Aleksandra Ivanovna said...

Well. Huzzah for actually hitting what I was aiming at.

I walk to 1008 and pick up my rock (if I can find it), keeping an eye and ear out for whatever is causing that glow.

Lothar Svensson said...

I wave at those still on the surface.

"Come on down, lads! Nothing's eaten us."

Alexis Smolensk said...

As Lothar waves at his companions and says his words, and as Gudbrand more or less simultaneously starts to come down the twine to land safely on the ground near the ranger . . .

Aleksandra's movement puts her only four hexes from the glow in 1205. From that vantage point, she can see the top edge of what appears to be a large yellow egg, perhaps a foot in diameter.

Aleksandra Ivanovna said...

Huh. "There's an egg in this hole."

Can I see beyond the egg to whatever might be producing the red glow? With my infravision, can I tell how "bright" the glow is? How large is the egg - ostrich egg size or even bigger?

Maxwell Joslyn said...

I descend the twine and move away, toward Lothar, so the others can come down.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The egg is a foot in diameter, Aleksandra. It seems to be contributing in part to the glow . . . and as you watch, it shifts downwards.

Aleksandra Ivanovna said...

I'll walk to 1106 with by bo stick out, probing the ground ahead of me. I want to see if the egg's motion is related to mine or independent.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Gudbrand,

I'll be representing your character with a stand-in until I get Engelhart finished and then yours ~ he got his description in before you. It'll be a simple representation.

Could you indicate which hex below the entrance that you wish to take up a place in? You can see that the image above has been upgraded so it can be easily read. Please choose any hex where the last two numbers are 08 or higher; just for now ~ you can move up afterwards. We're getting close to a round-by-round movement, since something seems to be out there.

Alexis Smolensk said...

As you move forward, Aleksandra, I will point out that you have no skill in moving with stealth. Your feet and your bo staff will make noise on the matted ground.

This comment thread is moving to a new post: please hold off on comments/actions until I get the new post up. Also, we will be moving to round by round movement rate, so action points will matter going forward.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Gudbrand, because Aleksandra moved, I'm going to rule that you're in 0808.