Saturday, March 18, 2017

Some Beast is Knocking ~ Round 3

Something BIG hammers against the double-doors, then lets out a terrifying growl.  The doors hold, but there's definitely strain to be seen.  The chains leap off the door and then bang and rattle against the wood.

Three of the four creatures seem unconcerned.  The fourth creature is stunned and back on its heels due to Embla's last attack.  It makes its dexterity check and takes no additional damage from being backed into the wall, following its being stunned.  The other three frogs slash and horn at will.

The first, in 1010, was knocked by Lothar, but it rolls for a single claw.  Lothar ducks the blow and it swings over his head.  At once the frog retreats to 1109.

The frog in 1011 swings with a claw spins and attacks both Pandred and Embla.  Pandred dodges the claw at her.  Both of the other attacks are at Embla's flank.  She feels a horn strike her in the side, causing an unpleasant 6 damage.  That will stun, throwing her into 1210.  The frog turns back to face Pandred.

The frog in 0811 chooses to completely ignore Lothar's back (rolled), choosing instead to focus on the cleric.  Engelhart easily misses both claws: but the horn hits AC 6.  That, I believe, is good enough [but correct me if I'm wrong].  It causes 1 damage: tit-for-tat.

Leaving this position:


Following the party's move, the layout looks like this:


And adding on the x.p. so far ~ please let me know if I've missed something:




12 comments:

Engelhart Askjellson said...

I swing back at frogman A.

Attack Roll: 5 + 1 (from Bless) = 6.

Damage Roll: 6 (Just wrote it down for irony's sake).

I still have 3 AP left but I'm holding on to them until I can get a clearer picture. Let's just say that Embla's stunning and even the angle of her forced movement have all been rather inopportune given the beastie knocking at the doors.

Pandred said...

I'll step into 1111 and hack down D with my throwing axe.

d20: 11 (+1 Str,+1 Bless) Total 13 To-Hit
d6: 5 (+3 Str) Total 8 Damage

Anyone who's been stunned needs to beat feet next round. That's me, Embla, and Bergthora. Make for the elevator and prepare ranged fire in case those doors actually do break down.

It'll be a slow retreat, since I'll hang back until Embla can get through, and she's not going anywhere as long as B C and D are still alive. Hopefully we can bottleneck whatever is coming through.

Lothar Svensson said...

I turn my attention to Frog-thing B and attack.

d20: 14 +1(bless) = 15
Damage: 5

I'll wait to see what Pandred's attack does to D before declaring for Bergthora.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Bergthora was stunned. As tough as she talks, she's still not a level and she's still a follower. I'll need 2d6 for a morale check. Please roll that, Lothar.

Lothar Svensson said...

Right, gotcha. 2d6 comes out to 10.

Pandred said...

I was stuck at work and couldn't recall how much space we had, but looking now I think we'd get somewhere making a fighting withdrawal. Focus on a path for Bergthora and Embla to retreat to, and our frontliners hold the line at 1013 and 0913.

If and when those doors break, we'll have the frogs squarely between us and whatever occupies that chamber.

I only hope the doors hold until we can put this into action.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Okay, catching up.

Frog D is dead. Hack down indeed. Lothars attack on B will hit as well, and partly stun.

[I'm writing just now ~ I'll update tomorrow]

Alexis Smolensk said...

I'm still waiting on Bergthora's move - run to 1013 to pull back or attack the creature in 1110?

I'm also waiting on Engelhart's other three AP; he held them in reserve, meaning to perhaps use them.

Lothar Svensson said...

Whoop, sorry. Bergthora will move to 1012 and attack B

Attack roll: 1

Break roll: 4 (on a d6)

Engelhart Askjellson said...

I think I'm good where I'm at, Alexis, holding the line as the fighting unfurls.

Alexis Smolensk said...

I believe I may have forgotten to mention that Bergthora made her morale check. Her morale should be lowered from 8 to 7.

The post above is updated. Working on the next post.

Alexis Smolensk said...

The next post is up.