Thursday, May 10, 2018

Round 11 ~ It Jumps


Once again, the jelly is stunned; and when stunned, it shrinks, and causes no incidental damage.

[It's worth noting that the combat system has to be flexible to manage a multitude of creatures.  While a stunned elephant would stumble and swing around, perfectly able to cause incidental damage, a jelly that responds to stunning shrinks and does not swing around.  In the same way, an elephant, or a single-unit jelly can be stunned; while a pudding or an ooze, which flows like a liquid and is not bound together with tendrils, cannot be stunned, no matter how much damage is done.  On some level, each monster demands a case by case basis to explain its behaviour and effect.

[This can seem like I'm changing the rules at a whim ... but rather, I'm trying to establish precedents for weird cases.  I expect players to say, "That jelly you had us fight before did this and this ... therefore this jelly today should also act like that."  And I agree.  D&D is complicated; memory and precedent is the only thing that binds it together].

Whatever the creature is that was in 0411 is now in 1312.  It attacks Valda, rolling a 2.  Valda, shocked, manages to dodge the half-hearted attempt of the creature to hit her.

She sees that it's skin is covered with slowly flowing green-brownish mud; and that it gives off a smothering, putrid odor, like a shut outhouse in sweltering summer weather.  The smell has no mechanical effects, but it is suffocating.

The players can act.

After their move, the positions look like:


And experience thus far:


20 comments:

Alexis Smolensk said...

[I'm going to take lunch. I'll be back soon]

Lothar Svensson said...

Valda drops back to 1111, Lothar moves to 1212 and menaces the stink-orc.

Unknown said...

I move to 1110 (1 AP) and cast a cantrip, Twitch, targeting both the jelly and the foul-smelling jumper (2 AP). I then move to 1111 (1 AP).

Unknown said...

Valda beat me to 1111, I will instead move to 1212 and engage in melee

Engelhart Askjellson said...

I press on. The jelly has got to be on its last pseudopods.

Attack roll: 3.

Embla Strand said...

I move to 1111 and say "Valda, switch!"

Embla Strand said...

Nvmd - the earlier comments take precedence.

I attack the jelly again.

Rob Munro said...

If I understand spellcasting, if I were to cast shillelagh it would take a full round, then I release it on the next round, and then on the round after I can attack ? So that would mean spending 2 rounds without attacking, right?

Engelhart Askjellson said...

With my remaining AP, I slide over to 0810.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Because the infusion of the shillelagh into the weapon is the spell, then the casting of the spell creates the magic weapon. It is similar to the illusionist spell chromatic orb and magic stone; all such magic infusions skip the discharge step; the "discharge" occurs when you swing the shillelagh and hit the target. Think of it as transferrring the concentration of casting the spell into the physical object.

So you can cast this round, then discharge the next round, THROUGH the club.

Rob Munro said...

Thank you for the clarification.
I cast shillelagh into my club.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Catching up all around. Lothar engages.

[Want to make a ruling that twitch is a physical-affecting cantrip, not a mental-state causing charm, as it can affect the non-intelligent jelly [note-taking].

Both creatures save against the twitch cantrip, the jelly with a 14, the other creature with a 17.

Mikael, 1212 is occupied by Lothar. I know, it gets confusing, you both posted within 2 minutes of each other; and the tunnel vision got Mikael on noticing Valda but not LOthar. Will 1311 do for Mikael?

Unknown said...

1311 works, sorry for that miss. What poor luck on the saves.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Engelhart's attack misses. Move to 0810 noted.

Embla's attack on the jelly is a modified 12, which misses.

I have Mikael's move noted in 1311.

I think that is everyone except Pandred. Pandred rolls on the jelly and kills it.

Lothar Svensson said...

Woo!

Embla Strand said...

Hurrah!

Rob Munro said...

Yay

Alexis Smolensk said...

The post up top is updated.

Can you remind me Lothar: you have Fjall up top. Is Willa there also?

Lothar Svensson said...

I'm not sure, I think so. Willa is Embla's hireling, so she should make that call.

Alexis Smolensk said...

Ah.

The next post is up.